Diane Doberneck, Ph.D., is the director for Faculty and Professional Development, Office for Public Engagement and Scholarship, Michigan State Univeristy. She provides leardership for University Outreach and Engagement education programs, coordinates the MSU Graduate Certification in Community Engagement, and conducts research about community-engaged scholarship. Doberneck’s research interests include outreach and engagement in the promotion and tenure process; faculty integration of outreach and engagement across their teaching, research, service, and administration responsibilities; graduate student and faculty pathways to community-engaged careers; international community engagement, including community sustainability; and effective strategies for professional development about community-engaged scholarship.
Informed by this research, Doberneck creates and supports a continuum of professional development opportunities for undergraduates, graduate and professional students, academic staff, tenure track faculty, and community practitioners. Recent professional development programming includes Community-Engaged Scholarship Write-Ins; Community-Engaged Scholarship Writing Retreat; Summer Intensive on Community-Engaged Scholarship; Sea Grant Community-Engaged Research Institute; and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources-Wildlife Division Community Engagement Certificate. Doberneck also consults with colleges and universities on reappointment, promotion, and tenure policies and professional development for community-engaged scholarship.
Phillips, J. P., Wilbanks, D., Salinas, D. F., & Doberneck, D. M. (2019) Specialty Income and Career Choices: A Qualitative Study of Medical Student Perceptions. Academic Medicine Journal. Retrieved from
Doberneck, D. M., & Schweitzer, J. H. (2017). Disciplinary variations in publicly engaged scholarship: An exploration using Biglan’s classification. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 21(1), 78-103. Retrieved from http://openjournals.libs.uga.edu/index.php/jheoe/article/view/1786
Doberneck, D. M., Bargerstock, B.A., McNall, M., Van Egeren, L., & Zientek, R. (2017). Community engagement competencies for graduate and professional students: Michigan State University’s approach to professional development. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning 24(1).
Doberneck, D. M. (2016). Are we there yet? Community engaged scholarship in the CIC’s reappointment, promotion, and tenure policies. Journal of Community Engaged Scholarship 9(1), 7-17. Retrieved from http://jces.ua.edu/are-we-there-yet-outreach-and-engagement-in-the-consortium-for-institutional-cooperation-promotion-and-tenure-policies
Doberneck, D. M. (2016). Community-engaged scholarship in the CIC’s reappointment, promotion, and tenure policies. Journal of Community Engaged Scholarship 9(1), 7-17.
Community-Engaged Scholarship: Definitions and Directions
Doberneck, D. M. (2018, November). Community-Engaged Scholarship: Definitions and Directions. Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR. November 5-7, 2018.
Writing retreats for community engagement: Examples from two universities
Doberneck, D. M., Paynter, S., McNall, M., & Velde, B. (2018, October). Writing retreats for community engagement: Examples from two universities. Paper presentation. Engagement Scholarship Consortium Conference, October 2-3, 2018. Minneapolis, MN.
The Engagement Dossier: Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure and Peer-Reviewed Publishing
Doberneck, D.M. (2018, October). The Engagement Dossier: Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure and Peer-Reviewed Publishing. Workshop at Emerging Engaged Scholars Workshop. Engagement Scholarship Consortium Conference, October 1, 2018. Minneapolis, MN.
- MSU Graduate Certification in Community Engagement
- Outreach and Engagement in Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure at Michigan State University, 2002-2006
- Discussion Guide for Departments and Colleges about Community-Engaged Scholarship in Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure
- Typology of Publicly Engaged Scholarship
- Disciplinary Variations in Publicly Engaged Scholarship
- Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Policies of the Member Universities of the Big Ten Academic Alliance
- Publishing Patterns in Interdisciplinary Community Engagement Journals, 1990-2015
- Community Engagement Success Stories in Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure, 2002-2015
- Summer Intensive on Community-Engaged Scholarship
- MI Department of Natural Resources-Wildlife Division Basic and Advanced Community Engagement Certificates
- Community-Engaged Scholarship Write-Ins
- Community-Engaged Scholarship Writing Retreat
- Sea Grant Extension Community-Engaged Research Institute
- Michigan Sea Grant Extension Fellows Program