Michigan State University embraces service-learning and civic engagement as viable and vital methods of fulfilling MSU's land-grant to world-grant mission, and supports academic service-learning as a teaching pedagogy. University Outreach and Engagement's Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement (CSLCE) provides services and opportunities to faculty, students, and community partners.
The Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement (CSLCE) supports university faculty from across all colleges and majors in creating service-learning opportunities for students by integrating meaningful community engagement into their college courses.
Services offered to faculty include:
- Assistance in identifying community partners
- Course development tools and resources to enhance service-learning experiences
- Service-learning orientations
- A Service-Learning Toolkit to assist MSU faculty and instructors in creating service-learning courses
- Tools of Engagement, a web-based curriculum on community engaged learning
- Student enrollment database to register for service-learning positions
Students who participate in service-learning contribute to the public good of local, national, and international communities via co-curricular and academic placements. They also enrich their academic knowledge with real-world applications and develop personal, professional, leadership, and citizenship skills.
UOE's Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement provides beyond-the-classroom learning opportunities that are...
- mutually beneficial
- integrated with students' academic programs
The Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement invites community organizations and agencies to partner with the MSU community by actively engaging students. This section contains information about posting or updating position listings; explains the process by which volunteers are placed with an agency; examples of volunteer service programs; provides links to any required forms; and clarifies the roles of the CSLCE, the agency, and the student in this partnership.
For more information, contact Renee Zientek
Director, Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement