May 24, 2021
June 15, 2021
The MSU Community Engagement Scholars Program is an initiative offered by the Center for Community Engaged Learning in partnership with community organizations in Michigan. Students selected as Scholars will be paired with a primary community organization(s) to completing projects, tasks, or other opportunity of interest to the community organization. The scope of the student project will range from project management and infrastructure to communications and data collection, with additional opportunities to serve with neighborhood/community/ and economic development organizations and other local nonprofits. Students will work collaboratively with the other student Scholars to design and implement a cohort project, of the topic of their design, and will have intentional moments to learn from and engage with each other throughout their shared experience.
Scholar Position Specifics:
- 10 undergraduate positions available
- 15 hours average/week, education stipend/project pay (approximately $2500/semester)
- No less than a 12 hour/week commitment at partner site or virtual with partner (if necessary or available)
- Transportation resources provided
- Cohort meetings twice monthly (on Saturdays) for professional development and reflective learning. Cohort meetings are mandatory.
- Pre-engagement Training and Orientation Required
An ideal applicant for this position will have an interest in and/or experience working in community and economic development and the ability to commit for the full 2021-2022 academic year (fall 2021 and spring 2022).
To apply, please forward the following to Renee C. Brown (email@example.com) by 5:00 p.m. on June 15, 2021.
- A two-page essay highlighting your own community engagement, your interest in community-engaged and civic learning, and what you hope to gain from the experience of serving as a 2021-2022 MSU Community Engagement Scholar. Please indicate if you are interested in serving in Lansing or Detroit and why.
- A professional resume
- The names and contact information of 2 professional references (may be employment or education connections)