Urban Policy Initiatives
University Outreach and Engagement
Michigan State University
219 S. Harrison Road, Room 93
East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1022
Recent events involving cities in the State of Michigan such as bankruptcy of Detroit, and the Flint Water crisis and the continued placement of emergency managers, has led to heightened discussion of the state of our cities especially in the areas of local financial distress, infrastructure, local public health, and environmental matters.
The Director of Urban Policy Initiatives for Michigan State University Outreach and Engagement serves as a connector and boundary spanner, working with MSU faculty, community partners, and agencies to develop partnerships that address critical community needs and societal issues.
- Promote community based participatory research models of practice
- Participate and lead community based research and evaluation projects.
- Work across and collaboratively with MSU units (e.g. CCED, MSUE, Land Policy Institute, Center for Local Government Sustainability, IPPSR), to support community based research and engagement efforts.
- Serve as principal investigator to conduct community engaged research in the area of urban and systems change.
- Serve to develop, as appropriate, educational or training experiences in community partners for faculty and academic staff engaged in urban and systems change.
Web Site: http://engage.msu.edu/upi
Telephone: (517) 353-8977
FAX: (517) 432-9541